Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Golden Spike

Well I haven't wrote for a minute! Not too much has been happening, Casey has been very busy inbetween work and school, and I am just doing the same old! But we squeeze some fun stuff in there too! Last Sunday, my dad called and invited Casey and I to go with he and my mom up to Promontory Point. I figured I hadn't been there since 2nd grade, so what the heck! Well Casey and I endured the hour and 1/2 drive of no man's land, and then we made it! We started out in the front area where we paid our 5 dollars to look around, and the lady at the desk recognized my dad from a few weeks earlier! Haha it was pretty funny! We then made our way around back where the old railroad was and stood on the spot where the two trains met, and the golden spike was placed. It's not their anymore though, which I thought was crap! They donated it to some college museum. Oh well still pretty cool to see old photographs of old saloons and motels, and it was odd to think that in 1869 the wild wild west was right there! It's also weird to think that all those people and buildings are gone now, but that it used to be a thriving little Boom Town! after that we went down to the shop where they held the replica's of the Jupiter, and 119 trains. The real ones were actually scrapped, which kind of sucks, but I guess they didn't know they would be kind famous! The guy who takes care of the trains told us all about the trains, and how to clean them and such. And he even let me climb into train, which is not allowed! But all in all it was a fun little learning day that I got to spend with my sweetheart and my parents! Here are some fun pictures of our little adventure!
Casey and I on the last spike site!
My parents
Learning!
Standing by the Jupiter!
Ridin the 119!

2 comments:

Chelsie Sanders said...

That looks like fun! I have never been there, I guess it's a trip I need to take. I'm glad you guys are doing good. We should double this weekend.

Daryl and Ashley said...

Your mom looks so interested and deep in thought! I love to hang out with my parents, I have some of the most fun with them! It helps that we both have awesome ones though!